About EAC

Emerald Art Center is a place where beginning and established artists join together to create and show their art in a historic building in downtown Springfield. And it’s a place for people in the community to view local and national art shows as well as attend classes and other events.

Come for a visit today.     Enjoy the art.     Become a member.

Vision

A community engaging in and celebrating the arts, experiencing the joys of creative expression and communication.

Mission

We provide an opportunity for all who desire to create art and exhibit their work by cultivating a vibrant art community through education, outreach and partnerships.

Board of Directors

Merrilea Jones

President

Miriam Alexis Jordan

1st Vice President

Dottie Chase

2nd Vice President

Lou Maenz

Secretary

Monya Neal

Treasurer

Sue Banta

Clinton Conley

Rick Dunaven

Catt Foy

Heather Halpern

Denise Zanetta

Staff

Guy Weese

Interim Executive Director

Elaine Hayes

Bookkeeper

Patrice Slaten

Workshop Coordinator

Diane Ketelsen

Administrative Assistant

Saymorn Best

Volunteer Coordinator
A bit of history

The Emerald Art Association began in 1957 when a group of artists and art lovers took on the task of building an art league. The group bought their first building at 421 A Street in 1974 to exhibit fine art to the community and become a center for teaching and learning art.

In the late 1990’s the opportunity to purchase the building at 500 Main Street in downtown Springfield presented itself. Built in 1909, the building was known as the Sutton Block which later became the Gerlach Drug Store. The non-profit art association had outgrown its original home and it was time for a new gallery to house its growing collection, to have space for more community interaction, to sponsor more art exhibits, and to encourage childrens’ interest in the arts.

The Emerald Art Association took on the responsibility of an extensive renovation of the building to create the Emerald Art Center. With the support of many community members, local artists, organizations, foundations, and city government, their long-held vision came to fruition.

Construction of the original building, 1909

Our first building at 421 A Street, 1974

EAC building  today