Emerald Art Center presents an exhibition of contemporary Art Quilts
Open to all Art Quilt Artists in the United States and Canada
A fissure is simply a crack, an opening, a separation, a split. Other interpretations include vent, opening, breach or cleft; A breach in the space/time continuum, or a black hole. A long narrow opening in rock. A volcanic fissure might spew lave, steam or smoke.
A biological fissure may be a split or break in tissue. Our relationships with others may develop fissures, miscommunications, a lack of togetherness.
Here in Oregon, some streams pour out of fissures, or disappear into fissures, only to reappear farther down the hillside.
Artists are encouraged to consider and explore the varieties of meaning, image and experience and follow where that particular fissure takes you.
Accepted Entries will be selected by Contemporary Fiber Artist Betty Busby; www.bbusbyarts.com
Betty Busby Biography:
After graduating from the Rhode Island School of Design with a ceramics major, Betty Busby founded a custom ceramic tile-manufacturing firm in Los Angeles. After nearly 20 years of running the firm, she sold the business in 1994 (it is still in operation to this day). Upon relocating to New Mexico, she changed the focus of her art work to fiber, taking it full time in 2004.
Her manufacturing background has led to constant experimentation with new materials and techniques that fuel her work. The classic fractal structures of the sub microscopic world are a constant inspiration, as are natural processes, such as oxidation, replication and growth.
Dates: Deadlines and Events:
Tuesday, May 1, 2018 Call for Artists with prospectus
Saturday, December 8, 2018 On-line Entry opens: www.artcallforentries.com
Tuesday, January 8, 2019 On-line entry closes at midnight
Friday, February 8, 2019 Notice of acceptance via email
Friday, February 22, 2019 Deadline for hand and mail delivery of art work to Emerald Art Center
Tuesday March 5, 2019 Show Opens
Friday March 8, 2019 Artist’s Reception and Awards at 2nd Friday Art Walk
Saturday, March 30, 2019 Show closes, Take down, local Pick up 11 am – 4 pm
Monday, April 1, 2019 Return of shipped artwork begins
- On-line entry opens Saturday December 8, 2018 and ends Tuesday January 8, 2019 at http://www.artcallforentries.com/
- On-line only entries are accepted – no paper copies
- Entry Fee: $30.00 for up to three entries
- All payments will be made on-line. All Notifications will be made by email
- Detailed packing and shipping instructions will be mailed to accepted entrants.
- Early paid image submissions for Call for Entry may be considered for publicity photos
- Work should relate to the theme, can be representational or abstract
- The wall art quilts must be: FIXED dimension of 24″ in WIDTH and 24-36″ maximum in HEIGHT
- This show is for 2 dimensional works only
- You may submit up to 3 pieces for consideration with one for possible selection
- Collaborative works may be considered as long as each person is listed in entry
- All artwork will be considered by digital images only. Submit one overall image (including all sides) and one detail image
- File format should be in JPG, saved at the highest quality. Images should be at least 2100 pixels on the longest side. Images can be larger up to a maximum of 4200 pixels on the longest side
- Preliminary acceptance will be made based on the digital image submission. For help with submitting photos: www.artcallforentries.com/help.html
- Emerald Art Center will offer photo services to local entrants at $5 per image by contacting the Center directly to make an appointment
- Label your images as you please. The entry system will overwrite that label with a new filename based on the entry number as part of the “blind” jury process.
HANGING SLEEVE AND LABEL
- All Art Quilt entries must have a 4″ sleeve sewn to the top of the backside of the piece.
- There should be a 1″ allowance on each side of the sleeve to allow hanging slats to remain hidden. (Detailed instructions provided to accepted entries)
- Entries must have a label sewn to the back with the title, artist’s name, email address, and website (optional)
- All work must meet the definition of an Art Quilt. “The Art Quilt is a creative visual work that is layered and stitched or that references this form of stitched layered construction.”
- Only original art work, conceived and created by the entrant will be considered; no patterns, kits, not executed in a class, or copies.
- All artworks must be in pristine condition and be show-ready.
- Any accepted works that deviate from the required terms of this show may be rejected and returned to the artist at the discretion of Emerald Art Center
- You are encouraged to have your artwork for sale and no price change may be made after entries are made.
- Emerald Art Center charges a 35% commission, so price your works accordingly. This value is included in the application.
SHIPPING AND INSURANCE
- Shipping and insurance expenses both ways are responsibility of the artist.
- All works must arrive no later than February 22, 2019 at 4pm. Shipping address is: Emerald Art Center, 500 Main St., Springfield, OR 97477
- Please include a prepaid return ship label (without date) to have your quilt shipped back to you.
- Art works must be shipped in reusable container and packaging for re-packing.
- If art is hand-delivered, artist must use reusable containers/packaging and include their full name and phone number on the packaging.
I agree to loan my artwork to the FISSURES exhibit at Emerald Art Center from March 5-30, 2019. I agree to permit images of my accepted work to be used in any publicity, in any media format, associated with the promotion of the exhibit. Selection of the work to be shown will be made by Betty Busby, based on the digital images submitted. Emerald Art Center reserves the right to refuse work that differs from images submitted, is not in good repair or delivered on time, or is not appropriate for the exhibition.
Art Quilts & Prospectus: Ginny McVickar email@example.com
Entry: Lisa Ellis firstname.lastname@example.org
Emerald Art Center
500 Main Street
Springfield, OR 97477